Thursday, June 28, 2007

Beasts in Human Form

From the Trinidad Express Thursday June 28
Nurse robbed, beaten: police hunt for 3 men
Richard Charan South Bureau

Police are hunting for three men believed to have robbed and beaten a nurse with the sledgehammer they used to break down a door to get to her and her money.
Latchmin Rampersad, 51, was reported to be conscious and alert at the Mt Hope Hospital yesterday but she was unable to eat or speak because of her injuries.
Rampersad, who is a native of Guyana, has a home in Minnesota, United States, where she lives with her husband, an air traffic controller, and two children.
The couple are building a house at Pierre Road, Charlieville, as a vacation home.
Rampersad was in Trinidad to oversee the construction.
Late Monday night, four men broke down the back door of the house and attacked Rampersad in her bedroom.
The attackers stole her jewelry and $90,000-money she withdrew from the bank to pay for building material.
Her cousin and neighbour Doolarie Durga said yesterday: "They beat her so bad they thought they killed her.
But she threw her body on the ground and pretended to be dead.
About half hour after they left, she got up and ran across to us. Her head and front of her body were covered in blood. We wrapped her head with a towel. Now we don't know if God will take her or if she will come out of it."
Rampersad wore gold rings which the thugs ripped off her fingers, Durga said.
Rampersad, who left Trinidad about 20 years ago, returned earlier this year.
Her husband was expected to return to Trinidad yesterday.

I haven't posted here for a while because I have been suffering from an extended case of writer's block, but this article has gotten me angry enough to want to say something. What kind of monster would actually think it in his mind to beat another human being with a sledgehammer? I mean this is an implement used to destroy concrete. What venom does it take to strain against the weight of a heavy hammer, lift it and bring it crashing down onto the head of a defenceless woman? Did they feel any emotion when they heard the sickening thud of metal meeting flesh and bone cracking? Who are the people that do these things? Do I know them? Do they live on my street? Do they have any feeling in their hearts?

To make it worse, obviously this was organised by someone who knew she had the money. Was it an inside job organised by an acquaintance? Friend? Family? Perhaps the teller at the bank?
Is it right that people work hard for their money and some illiterate fool who decided he didn't want to study and make a life for himself decides to take it?

I think that Trinidad has really gone to the dogs now. Hardly anyone cares about anything or anybody else. It's a free for all. Do what you want. Drive how you want. Steal, kill, destroy. There seems to be a darkness over the country which is getting progressively more intense. What has caused my peaceful party-loving people to become to evil? I wish I knew the answer. One thing is for certain: we need to find the answer fast, before Trinidad and Tobago goes totally to the dogs.

3 comments:

Jumbie said...

Its things like these that make me sober up and think I cannot possibly return to Trinidad, no matter how much of a Trini's loyalty lie within my breast. I have to think about Punks (my daughter) and the importance of my family fall forward of any loyalty I have for my country.

If I have to be quite honest, for the past 5 years, I have been encouraging everyone I know in Trinidad to get out.

ttfootball said...

I think it is incedents like these have me up in the air as to if I really want to return home or not, now that I done my studies I on the fence.
Some people like to say it gets blown outta proportion, but why should it have any wicked crimes liek these to consider at all?!?!

Kay said...

Despite what is happening, I would like to return home some day. I love my country, the air, the nature and the loving spirit and freedom of my people. I feel the same the outrage of the Author on this kind of behaviour. Clearly we are living with beasts and not humans. I must however point out that these beasts are not only the illiterate uneducated scoundrels. I have also noticed a proliferation of educated degenerates lately plaguing our land committing similar crimes. They just do it with a little more guile.