Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Who the hat fits

I was reading one of my IT magazines yesterday and came upon an article about Paul Young. Young is the co-founder of Red Hat, one of the most well-known distributions of the Linux operating system. The article said that in the early days of Red Hat, someone asked Young how a business that gave away it's software could compete with a company like Microsoft. His answer was one of the most profound things I've ever read or heard. He said: "It's not my goal to make my company as big as Microsoft. It's my goal to make Microsoft as big as my company."
Now if you really understand that concept, you can conquer the world. It certainly inspired me.

2 comments:

Kay said...

I perfectly understand and love Paul Young's statement. I wish many more of us adopted that kind of mentality. :)
An innovative duo that i also respect is Google's Larry Page and Sergey Brin. Their philosophy is "We have a mantra: 'Don't be evil', which is to do the best things we know how for our users, for our customers, for everyone."

Mad Bull said...

Well, it hasn't happened yet, but we can dream, can't we?