Saturday, February 17, 2007

I have gas!

An interesting quirk that we Trinidadians possess is that we take a long time to learn. That's why the same politicians fool us all the time.We just don't get it. I was reminded of that this weekend as I watched my fellow Trinis go into panic mode over fears of a gas shortage.

Now a plan for National Petroleum workers to go on strike the weekend before Carnival shows is the thinking of a very malicious and devious mind. Clearly it was meant to cause mass confusion, and it worked. People descended on gas stations like ants on a discarded KFC box. Despite assurances by NP management that there was no shortage, gas stations were filled with cars and people toting those nice red gas containers, all trying to fill up. The throngs even spilled over into the street, blocking traffic and frustrating people like me who were actually trying to get somewhere.

(Note to self: I must buy some of those nice red containers and sell them for twice the price next time NP workers strike)


This is not the first time that NP workers have gone on strike, and each time the results have been the same. People panic despite assurances that everything is under control. And this is why I say that Trinis never learn. Do they really think that NP will allow anyone to obstruct their cash flow? NP has private contractors at hand that they hire to deliver gas if the workers don't want to do it. Guess what causes the shortage? Yes... the gullible Trinis who descend on gas stations, buying up all the gas, putting it in those nice red containers and stocking it up. Yes Trinidad.. you cause the gas shortage and not NP workers.

If instead of panicking, Trinidad and Tobago says "oh, they're striking again.. ho hum" (that's what I do, actually) what do you think would happen? Nothing!!!! Everyone would have gas and go about their business as usual. Furthermore, NP workers would stop doing their nonsense and trying to hold people to ransom.

But then again... we have a tendency to do the opposite of what we should be doing so I'm not holding my breath for that.

PS: I think I'll keep one of those red containers handy.... just in case.



1 comment:

Mad Bull said...

Stuff like that happens in Jamaica all the time too...