Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Unfinished Business

A few months ago, just before local government elections, the local government decided it would be a good idea to repave the streets in my area. This would have been a good idea except that the roads in my area were generally quite fine in the first place. The second bad idea they had was not to strip off the old asphalt, but to put the new asphalt on top of the old. The result of this is that I now literally live on a High Street.

In addition to this, a water main broke right under the curb outside my house, destroying the entire thing. Every time rain falls, the silt and mud from my front lawn goes into the drain and makes a big mess.

Eventually after a long period of complaining, the City Corporation has decided to fix the curb not only outside my house, but for the entire street. They are also raising the level of the drains. The result of this is that I will no longer appear to be living on a high street. This is a good thing. The bad thing, however is that being government workers, they don't actually work. I have never seen anyone actually working on the drains. I just wake up and another section of the drain has been built. I think the work is being done by URP ghost gangs.

The ghosts seem to be taking their sweet time though. They have been working for a month now and have only covered the area outside 2 houses. At this rate they should cover the street by about the year 2015. Added to that, they decided that everyone's front lawn is the ideal place to throw the rubble that they collect as they go along. Apparently I won't be cutting my grass for a few months. Today one of the ghosts nailed a board to my poor palm tree. Did they have my permission to assault my greenery? Not at all.

Why is it that we are so steeped in mediocrity? It's really frustrating. I think I'm going to hide out tonight just too see if i spot the ghosts so I can give them a piece of my mind. But with my luck, I think it's going to be their week off.

No comments: