Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stumped!

So the Windies have flunked out of the Cricket World Cup and I might be the only West Indian male who does not even care. Seriously, I find cricket rather boring. I do support the Windies when they are playing, though and the CWC was no different. I even actually looked at the entire match against South Africa. Now I can't profess to be a cricket expert, seeing as I'm not a fan of the game. but something struck me yesterday while I was looking at it. The score was 36 for 2 with the Windies needing 357 runs to win. Now in a situation like this, the captain of a team would be worried. He could not be happy about the situation at all. But at this point, the camera caught captain Mr Brian Lara laughing and chatting away as if he really didn't care if he was winning or losing. At least that's how it looked on camera. Only when he realised the camera was on him (and it was for a long while) did he put on his serious face. Add to that the talk that Lara and other members of the team were seen feteing the night away in clubs on the nights before the Windies games and you can tell that obviously the players aren't really serious. But why should they be serious anyway? Win lose or draw they get big salaries, cushy sponsorship deals and the supporters will pack out the stadium to support every time. Why bother to work hard if you getting pay anyway? That's only sense. The players are just using common sense, working smart and not hard.Suppose we here in the Windies were like the Pakistanis.. when they lost, the people burned the team in effigy and I think the players were actually afraid for their lives. I don't think that's the way to go, but the fact is that there is no accountability from the players for their poor performance. Even "lowly" Bangladesh did better than us.I'm not a cricket fan like I said, but I'm a West Indian and I think that something needs to be done to stop the embarrassment.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Nadya Dee said...

I saw that too, but what was even funnier was that Bradshaw wasn't even tekkin him on too tuff...Lara was smiling out hell and chatting away and Bradshaw was just responding and nodding...maybe it's true that there IS a bit of animosity in the camp...