Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fuel me once, fool me twice

Today I had to solve a moral dilemma and it was really hard to choose. You see there is a particular service station which will remain unnamed that I like to go to to fill up my gas tank. My inspiration was that they always were helpful and friendly and gave good service. From my regular visits I started talking to one of the girls working there and we struck up a pretty good friendship. She loved old talk and I love to old talk.

The other day she told me something really strange. She said that when I wanted to buy any fuel treatments or injector cleaner to come to her and not go to anyone else. She didn't tell me why, but I figured something was up. Eventually after I pressured her she gave me the story. Apparently, every time I bought a treatment, some of the other workers would take an empty bottle, pretend it was full and stick it in my tank as if it was a full bottle. She also made me promise not to let them know that she told me about it. Let me tell you I was angry. I mean I trusted these people. I thought I was getting good service, but what I was getting was set up. The thing is I hadn't seen it for myself. But it did occur to me that one of the guys especially, would actually bring a bottle and remind me it was time for a treatment. Before he "threw" it into my tank he would try to send me over to talk to my friend. I didn't think anything of it until I heard of the scam and put two and two together.

Today I thought I would find out for sure. I pulled up to the gas station, and sure enough, the trickster was there with his "bottle" of injector cleaner. He asked if I wanted treatment and I said yes. True to form he tried to send me over to talk to the girl, but this time I didn't move. I looked at his hands all the time. I saw him open the bottle and I saw that the seal had been punctured already. I saw him try to stick the bottle in quickly, but he wasn't fast enough for me. I called his bluff and he got bazodee, insisting that the bottle was full. I pulled it out and shook it... Empty bottle. Not a drip. You know, he was still insisting that the thing was full and "gallantly" offered to put in another one just because I didn't believe him. But he knew he was busted. This time, he went for the real stuff and I stood right there lookng at him as he emptied it. I told him how nasty he was, and he didn't like that.

When I left though, he went after my friend, because he knew that she was the only one that would make me wise to the scam. She was mad with me, after, because she said they would victimise her now. She said I should have just done what she said and come to her to buy the treatments.

Here is the moral dilemma. I am not the only victim of this scam. Apparently it's almost like a code of practice at that place. Isn't it my moral responsibility to expose the tricksters? The thing is, if I do that, I could be exposing my friend to victimisation, and possible violence. So what is the right thing to do? I really was in a bind, and she was on the verge of tears, begging me not to tell, so I promised her that I wouldn't blow the lid. But let me tell you I don't feel good about that at all. I feel like I'm not doing the right thing by letting other hard-working people get scammed. But I also don't want anything to happen to my friend because she's a nice girl. This one is really hard for me to figure out. What's the right thing to do?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would reporting to the Consumer Affairs Division be the answer? Rather than making it something personal (either in respect of yourself or the nice attendant) there would be a formal body that can monitor the problem. And hopefully force the owner or manager of the gas station to rectify the problem for all customers. One had to wonder though - who is profiting from this scam? Do the attendants pocket the money themselves? Or is it a "policy" to increase profits?

Jumbie said...

Boy you really up the creek with a paddle in de a**. Dunno how you sleeping. I feel for your friend, and I feel for all the other people being gypped. Things like dis make meh want to run in wid ah bull pistle and lay it out like ah beating rice.

After meh temper cool, I thinking, what about contacting the owner of the gas station? If is NP, you can tell them, at the HQ. If is ah private thing, then maybe the owner doh know. After all, I sure that money not going in his pocket. Who is to say he ent losing money? A lil confidential talk and make it look like you spot de man, or set up ah friend to 'ketch' him and then report it...

Till you get it sorted, it go bother me as well as you, eh.

Anonymous said...

When you confronted the thief, that was human nature, you wanted him to know you were on to him.
But your friend confided in you, and your confronting him to satisfy yourself, placed her in a sticky situation.

You are not the keeper of the world bro. People like this are everywhere, they feel that the world owes them, and the rules don't apply to them, hence taking pleasure and profit, by duping others.
It's happening to us more than we think, but we're just not aware, so it doesn't matter.
Be responsible for your friend first, let the rest of the world fight it's own battles.

Dirk Dagger said...

@ chennette: I get the impression that the boss knows something about it, though she didn't want to answer me on that one. And Consumer Affairs is a toothless bulldog. Trust me.. I've had to deal with them before

@ jumbie: Is big paddle too. But if anything happen now they will know is me that set it up. And like I tell chennette.. I feel the boss in on it.

@ trouble: While your solution might be logically the best one.. and the one I've decided to adopt for now, the good guy that's inside me wants to at least do something to help someone. I mean people working hard for their money.

Oswyn said...

Dirk boy, you really can't be serious! Dread. That is the kind of slackness going on?

Boy, here meh nah. You can take all the classes in Ethics that you want, but nothing can truly prepare you for times like this.

Truly I feel like you do have a moral responsibility to tell others about it. I do feel for your friend who confided in you though. Do you think you could convince her that telling others is just the right thing to do? Obviously she knows it's not right and to me that sounds like a starting point. Maybe she could find another job if need be(I know this is easier said than done).

I'm with Jumbie when he says it will bother him till it gets sorted.

Oswyn said...

By the way, I like the title of this post too.

Dirk Dagger said...

Mani boy, it bothering me too eh. I have the feeling that eventually I will say something though. And as for my friend, I think the right thing for her to do would be to say something. Well that is what I would do anyway, but then again I'm not in her position.

Mad Bull said...

Dis one is rough. Why do you feel management is involved, though? I mean, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that they are, based upon what you have told us, and the scam seems like it would be hard for them to monitor to get their share of the criminal proceeds. I think its just the workers that are involved. Dirk, if you don't mind sharp, even your girlfriend might be involved. Maybe she just decide she likes you and didn't want it done to you, but she is actively involved in doing it to others. Things aren't always as they seem. I dunno. I am inclined to just leave well enough alone still, as Trouble suggested. Let us know what you eventually decide to do.

owen said...

wow I not telling you nutten