Monday, April 23, 2007

This thing called life

One again death has dared touch those associated with me. Easter weekend I heard of the accident that claimed the life of two men who were returning from looking at drag racing. I heard the report that one of them was a coconut vendor at the Mon Repos Roundabout, and I briefly thought of my friend but dismissed the suggestion. You see my coconut vendor was one of the nicest people in the world. And people like that are not supposed to die. Every Sunday I would go to him not just to get a couple of cold nuts, but also a healthy serving of belly-laugh and old talk. My coconut vendor was a born comedian, a happy soul. People like that are not supposed to die. After the old talk and comedy he would usually me a discount on the coconuts and often he would even give me some free nuts to take home. He was a generous guy, and people like that are not supposed to die.
But die he did at 5.30 am on Easter Sunday morning. The car he was in hit something on the highway and flipped over and that was the end of those special moments. Just two weeks before we were laughing and joking and I never thought that it would be the last time I would ever see him.
But that's the thing about life.. no matter what, one day we're all going to leave this earth one way or another. The important thing is to always tell those you love that you care for them because you may never get another chance. You've also got to make sure you live life in such a way as to be prepared for the afterlife.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, sad... We have the same problem here...

Jumbie said...

I use to buy coconuts there several times a week, and oysters from the small Indian fella who used to be there then.. I wonder if I knew them. Life really is a funny thing... sometimes in the middle of living you dying.

Dirk Dagger said...

Jumbie, the oyster man still there. A single is $5 and a double is $10 now. I'm not too sure you'd have known the coconut man though. He was fairly new. Probably about a year i think.